学校: Philosophy, Psychology 而且 Language Sciences
大学: 艺术、人文学科 & 社会科学
The English language has a well-recorded history of more than 1,000 years. Its changes can be traced through written materials ranging from medieval manuscripts to text messages, 而最近, through recordings of spoken English.
Using techniques from modern linguistics, you will analyse the structure of written 而且 spoken English 而且 will explore how the language has changed in the course of its history.
As well as being interested in the study of change in English, we have a strong tradition of investigating different varieties of the language, 包括:
- distinct dialects of English
- international variations
You can study modern-day varieties of English 而且 苏格兰人 而且 identify the similarities 而且 differences between the features of English 而且 other languages.
You will take two semester-long introductory courses:
- Linguistics 而且 English Language 1A offers a brief introduction to the study of language in general 而且 of English in particular.
- Linguistics 而且 English Language 1B will help you develop the tools 而且 knowledge needed to investigate the different subsystems of language in a systematic way.
In this year, you will also be introduced to the study of:
- aspects of regional 而且 social variations of language in general (而且 the English language in particular)
- semantics 而且 pragmatics
In addition, you will choose from a wide range of option courses outside your primary subject.
You will take four further semester-long courses in Linguistics 而且 English Language.
- linguistic theory 而且 the structure of English
- the speech sounds of the world's languages 而且 empirical methods
- variation in the languages of the world
- the history of English
As in 第一年, you will choose from a wide range of option courses outside your primary subject.
Over the two honours years, you will take 10 courses (six in 三年级 而且 four in 年4) 而且 write a dissertation in 年4.
- Cognitive Linguistics
- English Historical Syntax
- 苏格兰人 而且 Scottish English
You will continue to choose advanced courses according to your interests (see 三年级).
You will also work on your honours dissertation. The dissertation is a substantial piece of your own work 而且 is regarded by many as the most formative experience of their undergraduate studies.
Find out more about the compulsory 而且 optional courses in this degree programme.
To give you an idea of what you will study on this programme, we publish the latest available information. However, please note this may not be for your year of entry, but for a different academic year.
Lectures 而且 seminars will be held within the University's Central Area.
You will have access to a range of world-class equipment within the School as well as the University's libraries 而且 computing facilities.
You can take a closer look at the University’s Central Area 而且 explore our facilities on the University's Virtual 访问 site.
English Language Society
LingSoc, the Linguistics 而且 English Language Society, is a society for appreciation, study 而且 conversation of language.
The society was created by 学生 who wanted to provide a forum for Linguistics 而且 English Language to provide support, friendship 而且 a community. It’s a great way to meet like-minded people 而且 get involved in your subject outside of the classroom.
Opportunities to study abroad are available in this subject area.
Most courses are taught through a combination of:
- some small-group project work
You will also do some independent practical work in 第二年 而且 more independent study in 三年级 而且 年4.
How will I be assessed?
During Years 1 而且 2 you will undergo continuous assessment through tests 而且 assignments.
In Years 3 而且 4, you will be assessed through:
Popular career paths for English language graduates include:
- speech 而且 language therapy (with additional training)
You can also train to teach English in the UK or abroad.
St而且ard entry requirement
The st而且ard entry requirement is:
- SQA Highers: ABBB by end of S5 or AABB/ABBBB by end of S6. BBB must be achieved in one year of S4-S6.
- IB: 34 points with 655 at HL.
Minimum entry requirement
The minimum entry requirement for widening access applicants is:
- SQA Highers: ABBB by end of S6. BBB must be achieved in one year of S4-S6.
- IB: 34 points with 655 at HL.
The grades used to meet our entry requirements must include:
- SQA: Highers: no specific Higher subjects required. National 5s: English at C.
- A Levels: no specific A Level subjects required. 普通中等教育证书考试s: English C或4.
- IB: HL: no specific subjects required. 斯莱利:5点学英语.
We welcome applications from 学生 studying a wide range of international qualifications.
International Foundation Programme
If you are an international student 而且 your school qualifications are not accepted for direct entry to the University you may be eligible for admission to this degree programme through our International Foundation Programme.
We welcome applications from mature 学生 而且 accept a range of qualifications.
You must demonstrate a level of English language competency at a level that will enable you to succeed in your studies, regardless of your nationality or country of residence.
SQA, 普通中等教育证书考试 而且 IB
为 SQA, 普通中等教育证书考试 而且 IB 学生, unless a higher level is specified in the stated entry requirements, a pass is required in English at the following grades or higher:
- SQA 国家5点C
- SQA 标准等级3
- 普通中等教育证书考试 C或4
- Level 2 Certificate at C
- IB St而且ard Level at 5 (English ab initio is not accepted for entry)
English language tests
We accept the following English language qualifications at the grades specified:
- 雅思考试 学术:共6.5和至少5.每个组件有5个.
- 新托福 (including 首页 Edition): total 92 with at least 20 in each component. We do not accept TOEFL MyBest Score to meet our English language requirements.
- C1先进(CAE) / C2熟练程度(CPE): total 176 with at least 162 in each component.
- 三一 伊势: 伊势 II with distinctions in all four components.
- PTE 学术:共62 with at least 54 in each component.
We also accept a wider range of international qualifications 而且 tests.
English language qualifications must be no more than three 而且 a half years old from the start date of the degree you are applying to study, 除非你正在使用 雅思考试, PTE Academic, TOEFL or 三一 伊势, in which case it must be no more than two years old.
This information is part of a government initiative to enhance the material that higher education institutions provide about their degree programmes.
It is one of many sources of information which will enable you to make an informed decision on what 而且 where to study.
Please note that some programmes do not have 发现单数据 available.
7003全讯白菜 the degree finder
2 degrees in English Language
You may also be interested in
- Celtic 而且 英语(MA) QQ53
- Classics 而且 英语(MA) QQ83
- French 而且 英语(MA) QR31
- German 而且 英语(MA) QR32
- Italian 而且 英语(MA) QR33
- 语言学(MA) Q100
- Linguistics 而且 英语(MA) QQ31
- Philosophy 而且 英语(MA) VQM3
- Portuguese 而且 英语(MA) RQ53
- Russian Studies 而且 英语(MA) QR37
- Sc而且inavian Studies 而且 英语(MA) QR36
- Scottish Ethnology 而且 英语(MA) VQ93